Chef Jeff serves up a taste of southern hospitality at one of Georgia’s hottest restaurants, The Shell House. He’s featuring a Crispy Fish Fillet with Homemade Tartar Sauce, Bell Pepper Quick-N-Easy Grits, and a low country Snow Crab Boil.
The Back Story
WHAT YOU NEED
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup instant yellow grits
1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
1 cup Monterey jack, shredded
1 cup Gouda cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons butter
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, small diced
1 medium green bell pepper, small diced
½ basket cherry tomatoes
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
12 medium-large gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined and tails on
2 teaspoons Creole seasoning
2 dashes Crystal hot sauce
Juice from 1 lemon
4 green onions, sliced
WHAT TO DO
1. Add chicken stock to a medium pot over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil and slowly whisk in grits.
2. Reduce heat to low, stirring constantly about 15 minutes or until smooth.
3. Remove from heat and stir in cheese and butter. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover pot and set aside.
1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil, onions, peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Sauté until softened.
2. Season shrimp with creole seasoning. Add shrimp to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink and cooked through.
3. Add hot sauce and lemon juice to shrimp. Spoon the grits into a serving bowl. Top with shrimp and green onions. Serve immediately.
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)