Molasses Glazed Roasted Duck Breast
Kingston Resort , Chef Jeff Henderson, Aired on Mon 8/15
The Back Story
WHAT YOU NEED
2 6-oz. boneless duck breast halves, patted dry
½ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. kosher salt
½ c. dark black strap molasses *reserve some for finishing duck
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. minced garlic
½ c. heirloom carrots
½ medium onion chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
½ c. collard greens
2 c. prepared rice
¼ c. tomato infused chicken broth*see recipe
½ c. chopped okra
2 tbsp. soy sauce
½ c. fresh okra, sliced
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Score fatty side of duck breast. Season breast side with pepper and salt. Brush molasses on fatty side.
3. In a large cast iron skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add duck breast, fatty side down, and cook for 4 minutes or until caramelized. Turn breast over and place in oven for 8-10 minutes until medium. Remove duck breast from skillet and place on a plate to rest.
4. Reserve 2 tablespoons of duck drippings in same skillet. Add garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add carrots, onions, bell peppers and collard greens, cook until vegetables are tender 6-8 minutes. Add rice, chicken broth, okra and soy sauce. Cook for 3-5 minutes stirring constantly until all ingredients are thoroughly incorporated.
5. Using a very sharp knife, slice duck breast on a bias and place atop red rice. Drizzle molasses around the plate and serve.
Tomato Infused Chicken Stock
1 c. chicken stock
1 ½ tbsp. tomato paste
WHAT TO DO
Bring stock to a boil. Add tomato paste and stir.
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)