Mexican Shrimp and Grits
The Back Story
WHAT YOU NEED
Queso Fresco Cheese Grits
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup instant white grits
1 cup queso fresco cheese, crumbled
1 pinch habanero salt
12 large gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
Juice from 1 lemon
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons habanero salt *NOTE: Buy from a speciality store or just add choice of heat to grits.
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
1 ½ tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
1 habanero pepper, charred
1 jalapeno pepper, charred
WHAT TO DO
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat; melt butter and onions. Cook onions for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir constantly for about 15 minutes or until grits have reached a smooth texture.
3. Remove from heat and stir in queso fresco cheese and butter. Season with habanero salt and serve.
1. Prepare your indoor pan grill for direct high heat. While the grill is heating, thread pre-soaked skewers or metal ones through the shrimp.
2. Drizzle shrimp with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with cumin, habanero salt, habanero peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic and cilantro.
3. Place skewers on an indoor or outdoor smoker and smoke for 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp from smoker and place on grill. Grill shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink in color. As soon as the shrimp are done, remove from grill and place on a serving dish. Serve immediately with spicy grits and crispy tortilla chips.
Meet the Guest Stars
Chef Jeff Henderson rose from humble beginnings in South Central Los Angeles to become the first African-American executive chef at the Bellagio Hotel. He has gone on to become a successful TV host with a cable show on the Food Network, a nationally syndicated series called, Family Style with Chef Jeff and the host of Flip My Food. When he isn’t cooking on TV he’s a highly sought-after motivational speaker, sharing the secrets of realizing your potential at... (full profile)