Turkey Burger Quesadilla
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, bell peppers, Serrano peppers and garlic. Cook for about 4-5 minutes or until fragrant. Add ground turkey and season with creole seasoning. Cook until browned and thoroughly cooked. Add Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, bacon and salt and pepper to taste; stir until well combined. Simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes.
2. Working in batches, in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of butter. After butter has melted, place 1 large flour tortilla in skillet. Spread half of the burger mixture evenly onto the tortilla. Sprinkle filling with crushed red pepper flakes and top with 4 tablespoons of cheese. Top with a second tortilla and cook for 3 minutes or until golden on underside.
3. Using a spatula, flip over and cook on the other side for an additional 2 minutes or until golden and cheese has melted. Repeat process with remaining ingredients. Remove quesadilla from skillet and place on a cutting board to slightly cool. Cut tortilla into 4 triangles and garnish with lettuce and tomatoes. Serve with salsa, guacamole and sour cream if desired.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1 tbsp. creole seasoning
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ c. ketchup
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp. mayonnaise
- 8 strips bacon, cooked and chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 pack large flour tortillas
- 2 c. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Red crushed pepper flakes
- ½ head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 1 creole tomato, cored and diced