Tilapia Tortilla Soup with Cumin Spiced Yogurt
1. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt, set aside.
2. Drizzle 2 tablespoons olive oil on tilapia filets. Sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides.
3. Place tilapia filets on a hot grill pan. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes turning fish back and fourth until fish is done. Set aside.
4. Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and minced garlic. Stir until vegetables become soft. Add tomatoes, Pablono peppers and remaining spice mix. Stir vegetables until fragrant.
5. Add 7 ½ cups of chicken stock, tomato paste, and black beans to pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes uncovered.
6. Mix cornmeal with remaining chicken stock. Add to soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Adjust seasonings, if soup needs more spice. Turn off heat and allow soup to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips and pieces of grilled tilapia fish.
7. Ladle soup into bowls, then top with sour cream, red onion, avocado, pico de gallo, and Mexican cheese.
¼ cup whipped Greek yogurt, seasoned with cumin
1 avocado, diced
½ small red onion, diced
4 teaspoons Pico De Gallo, ready made
1 cup Mexican cheeses
2 bunches cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 filets of Tilapia
- 1 cup onions, diced
- ¼ cup red bell peppers
- ¼ cup green bell peppers, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 1 pablono pepper, charred and chopped
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 5 whole corn tortillas, cut into strips
- ¼ cup whipped Greek yogurt, seasoned with cumin
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ small red onion, diced
- 4 teaspoons Pico De Gallo, ready made
- 1 cup Mexican cheeses
- 2 bunches cilantro