Tequila-Glazed Beer Can Chicken
Tequila-Glazed Beer Can Chicken with Tortilla-Avocado Salad
WHAT YOU NEED: Beer Can Chicken
1½ tablespoons whole coriander seeds, coarsely ground
1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
3 whole chickens
1/3 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
¼ cup patron sliver tequila
1 large beer can
2 tablespoons light brown sugar
2 tablespoons pure local honey
2 red jalapeño peppers with seeds, finely chopped
1 shallot, finely chopped
Nonstick vegetable oil spray
WHAT TO DO
1. Mix coriander, salt, and red pepper together. Rub chicken all over skin with spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, and let marinated for at least 6 hours in the refrigerator.
2. Spray grill with nonstick olive oil spray. Place chicken cavity over beer can and place on grill and close lid. Grill chicken for about 1 hour and 15 min turning occasionally.
3. Juices should run when pierced with fork or until thermometer inserted into chicken registers 170°F. Turn and brush occasionally with glaze. Cook for about 10 minutes longer.
4. Transfer beer can chicken to platter. Spoon reserved glaze over chicken and serve with this amazing salad.
Crispy Tortilla and Avocado Salad
WHAT TO DO
3 corn tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried
4 romaine hearts, shredded
1 small can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 whole avocado, peeled, and diced
1 large tomato, diced
6 green onions, sliced
1 cup Mexican cheeses
1 small bottle of Mexican style salad dressing
6 sprigs cilantro
½ gallon canola oil, for frying
WHAT TO DO
1. Stack tortillas and cut into 1/8- to 1/4-inch-wide strips. Fill a cast iron Dutch oven with canola oil, about 3 inches high.
2. Fry tortilla strips in 375 degrees, stirring occasionally, until crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove corn strips and place on a paper towel lined plate. Season tortilla strips and season with salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl toss lettuce, beans, avocado, tomatoes, green onions and cheese. Drizzle in your choice of salad dressing and re-toss. In the center of a shallow bowl, add salad mix, then garnish with cilantro sprigs and crispy tortilla strips. Serve with Mexican style beer can chicken.
- 1½ tablespoons whole coriander seeds, coarsely ground
- 1 ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 3 whole chickens
- 1/3 cup orange juice or pineapple juice
- ¼ cup patron sliver tequila
- 1 large beer can
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure local honey
- 2 red jalapeño peppers with seeds, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into strips and deep fried
- 4 romaine hearts, shredded
- 1 small can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 whole avocado, peeled, and diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 1 cup Mexican cheeses
- 1 small bottle of Mexican style salad dressing
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- ½ gallon canola oil, for frying