Stewed Chicken & Gravy with Collard Green Rice
1. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Pat chicken dry and season with kosher salt & black pepper. Brown chicken in batches. Transfer chicken to a paper towel lined plate.
2. Add remaining oil to pan and stir in flour. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring constantly until roux is light brown, about 10 to 20 minutes. Add onions, bell peppers and celery. Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Add chicken stock to roux mixture and bring to a boil. Stir until fully incorporated. Add chicken, sweet potatoes, cayenne pepper, bay leaves and scallions. Cover chicken and simmer until cooked through, about 30 to 35 minutes.
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 ½ teaspoons salt
- 2 ½ teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- ½ medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium chicken stock, just enough to cover chicken
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced