Smothered Chicken and Rice
1. In deep large cast iron skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
2. Season chicken with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme and cayenne.
3. Pour flour into a large bowl and dredge chicken in flour. Reserve the flour. Place chicken into hot skillet and brown in 2 batches for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove chicken from skillet and place on a plate lined with paper towels and set aside.
4. Add onions to skillet and sauté for 3 minutes. Whisk in flour and pour in chicken stock, stir constantly until mixture comes to a boil.
5. Return chicken to skillet, cover, and continue cooking for about 30 minutes or until chicken parts are tender and gravy has thickened. Adjust flavor by adding ore seasoning if need be. Serve with rice and select vegetables.
- 4 tablespoons of canola oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons of black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 ½ cups low-sodium chicken stock