Skillet Apple Cobbler with Pie Crust
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a large cast iron skillet, combine apples, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, salt, lemon juice and cornstarch. Cook apples over medium heat until caramelized and softened.
3. Using a rolling pin, roll out piecrust shells and slice or tear into squares. Place crust pieces over apple mixture. Sprinkle with granulated sugar.
4. Bake cobbler for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
- 2 pounds fresh Granny smith apples, cored, peeled and cut into wedges
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 refrigerated pie crust
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar