Roasted Red Pepper Soup
From Pulled Pork and Beans with Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread, Aired on Wed 2/24
Chef Jeff Henderson,
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut off the top of the garlic bulbs to expose ends of individual cloves. Place bulbs, cut ends up, and onion in a small baking dish. Sprinkle with rosemary; drizzle with oil. Roast garlic for 20 to 25 minutes or until garlic is soft. When garlic is cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic paste from cloves.
3. Place red peppers on open flame burners, using tongs turn peppers until charred and softened. Remove peppers from flames and place in airtight zip lock bags while hot. Let peppers sit inside bag for about 30 minutes.
4. Under cold running water, gently pull off skins. Remove stems, seeds, and membranes from peppers and chop into pieces, set aside.
5. In a blender combine roasted garlic, onions, sweet peppers, basil leaves, jalapeno pepper, black pepper, red pepper, oregano, hot sauce and 1 cup of broth. Cover and blend until smooth.
Stir in the remaining broth, if a thinner consistency is desired, and light cream. Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese. Slice baguette into ½ inch strips and serve with sou
- 2 whole garlic bulbs, roasted
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp. fresh rosemary minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 4 large red bell peppers
- 1/3 c. fresh stemmed basil leaves, firmly packed
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp. dry oregano
- Crystal hot sauce to taste
- 1 32-oz. carton low sodium chicken broth
- ½ c. light cream
- 1/3 c. fresh basil, chopped
- 2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
- 1 French baguette, toasted