Rags of Pasta with Short Ribs
WHAT TO DO
1. Season short ribs with salt and pepper. In cast iron pot on medium–high heat, add olive oil. Place short ribs in pot and brown on all sides.
2. Remove meat from pot and set aside. In the same pot add onions, bell peppers, tomato paste and garlic. Cook until vegetables are soft and fragrant. Add red wine and reduce by half. Add chicken stock, bay leaf and fresh thyme.
3. Place short ribs in pot, cover and reduce heat to a low flame. Allow ribs to simmer for about 3-4 hours or until meat becomes fork tender. When done, remove ribs from pot. Strain stock and reserve ¾ cup for sauce; discard vegetables.
4. In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add rib stock and tomato sauce; reduce by half. Add heavy cream and mascarpone cheese; stir well until sauce slightly thickens.
Add pasta and pulled short rib meat and toss well. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and serve wit
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 6 six-oz pieces of boneless beef short ribs
- ½ onion, peeled and diced
- ½ green bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 c. red wine
- 3 c. low sodium chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- ¾ c. rib stock
- ¼ c. cooked ahead tomato sauce
- ¼ c. heavy cream
- 1/3 c. mascarpone cheese
- ½ lb. ready cooked pappardelle Pasta or any other type
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Sweet basil for garnish