Pulled Pork and Beans and Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread
From Pulled Pork and Beans with Jalapeno-Cheddar Cornbread, Aired on Wed 2/24
Chef Jeff Henderson,
Pork Bacon and Beans with Beer Braised Pulled Pork Shoulder
WHAT YOU NEED
8 strips Applewood smoked bacon, diced
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
½ green bell pepper, cleaned and diced
1 ½ tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
1 lb. Great Northern beans, cooked
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
¼ c. tomato paste
2 c. ketchup
½ c. dark brown sugar
4 tbsp. molasses
1 ½ c. chicken stock
¼ tsp. paprika
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Kosher salt to taste
1 c. fresh okra, sliced
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place a cast iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add bacon to pot and stir until bacon is cooked through and crispy. Add onions, celery and bell pepper, sauté until tender. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
3. Add beans, mustard, tomato paste, ketchup, dark brown sugar, molasses, chicken stock, paprika, black pepper and salt to Dutch oven. Stir well for 5 minutes, and then add okra.
4. Simmer beans on low heat for 25-30 minutes until desired consistency. When done, fold in beer braised pulled pork and serve with jalapeño cornbread.
Spicy Jalapeno Cornbread
WHAT YOU NEED
½ c. fine cornmeal
1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ c. white sugar
1 ½ cup whole milk
3 large eggs, beaten
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
¼ c. jalapeno peppers, seeded and stems removed, minced
WHAT TO DO
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking power, salt and sugar in a mixing bowl, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, butter and jalapeno peppers.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased 9-inch cast iron skillet. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Slice and serve.
- 8 strips Applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, cleaned and diced
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 lb. Great Northern beans, cooked
- 2 tbsp. yellow mustard
- ¼ c. tomato paste
- 2 c. ketchup
- ½ c. dark brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. molasses
- 1 ½ c. chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- Fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Kosher salt to taste
- 1 c. fresh okra, sliced
- ½ c. fine cornmeal
- 1 ½ c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ¼ c. white sugar
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ c. jalapeno peppers, seeded and stems removed, minced