Oxtail Gumbo with Okra and Rice
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat 1 ½ tbsp. canola oil in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season oxtails with salt, black pepper and chili flakes. Cook until browned and fat is rendered, about 8-10 minutes. Transfer oxtails to a plate and set aside.
2. Add remaining oil, celery, onions, bell peppers, and habanero pepper to pan. Cook vegetables until caramelized and fragrant about 6-8 minutes. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute until fragrant. Deglaze vegetables with Worcestershire sauce. Remove vegetables from pan and set side.
3. Add butter to pan. After butter has melted, add 3 tbsp. flour. Stir and cook to make a brown roux. Slowly add hot stock and stir well to incorporate. Add oxtails, stewed tomatoes, and vegetables. Simmer for about 2 ½ - 3 hours uncovered.
4. When oxtails are nice and fork tender, add okra and cook for an additional 5 minutes adjust seasonings with salt and pepper. Remove pot from heat and serve with hot rice rice and garnish with chopped scallions.
- 1⁄3 c. canola oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Nice pinch red chili flakes
- 2 celery ribs, small diced
- 1 large yellow onion, small diced
- ½ green bell pepper, small diced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
- 1 ½ tbsp. fresh garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tbs. butter
- 3 tbs. all purpose flour
- 6-8 cups chicken or beef stock
- 2 lb. oxtails, trimmed
- 1 c. stewed tomatoes
- 1 c. fresh okra, sliced
- Cooked white rice, for serving
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced, for garnish