Mirliton and Hot Sausage Stew with Parmesan-Croutons
WHAT TO DO
1. Heat a medium-large cast iron Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add 2 tbsp. butter and sausages and cook until crispy, about 3-5 minutes. Add onion, celery, and garlic. Cook vegetables until fragrant about 2-3 additional minutes.
2. Add remaining softened butter and flour. Cook until fully incorporated. Slowly whisk in chicken stock. Bring to a rolling boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for about 10-12 minutes then add herb bundle.
3. Add heavy cream and Mirliton squash. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Continue to simmer for 8-10 minutes, whisking constantly until slightly thickened.
4. In a medium bowl add bread cubes, melted butter, garlic, jalapeños peppers and parmesan cheese. Toss well and set aside.
5. Garnished soup with parmesan croutons and chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 ½ c. New Orleans smoked hot sausage, diced
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- ½ tbsp. garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 c. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 herb bundle, bay leaf and thyme sprig
- ½ c. heavy cream
- 3 whole Mirliton squash, skinned and diced
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- ½ loaf rustic bread, cubed
- ½ stick butter, melted
- 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded, minced
- 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese, grated