Mexican Shrimp and Grits
1. In a medium pot over medium-high heat; melt butter and onions. Cook onions for about 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Slowly whisk in grits.
2. Reduce heat to low and stir constantly for about 15 minutes or until grits have reached a smooth texture.
3. Remove from heat and stir in queso fresco cheese and butter. Season with habanero salt and serve.
1. Prepare your indoor pan grill for direct high heat. While the grill is heating, thread pre-soaked skewers or metal ones through the shrimp.
2. Drizzle shrimp with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with cumin, habanero salt, habanero peppers, jalapeno peppers, garlic and cilantro.
3. Place skewers on an indoor or outdoor smoker and smoke for 3-5 minutes. Remove shrimp from smoker and place on grill. Grill shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side or until shrimp is pink in color. As soon as the shrimp are done, remove from grill and place on a serving dish. Serve immediately with spicy grits and crispy tortilla chips.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup instant white grits
- 1 cup queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- 1 pinch habanero salt
- 12 large gulf shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons habanero salt *NOTE: Buy from a speciality store or just add choice of heat to grits.
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 ½ tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 habanero pepper, charred
- 1 jalapeno pepper, charred