Louisville Kentucky Calzone
What To Do
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put olive oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and vegetables to the pan and cook until browned about 5 minutes. Transfer cooked sausage and vegetables to a plate lined with paper towel to drain excess oil. Place in refrigerator to cool down.
2. Combine the remaining ingredients, except the egg, in a large bowl. Set aside. Cut pizza dough into 7-inch circles and set aside. After meat mixture has cooled, remove from refrigerator and fill one half of each circle with half of the filling. Fold the dough over and seal the edges by pressing down with a fork.
3. Place calzone on a greased sheet pan and brush the tops with egg wash. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 lb. spicy Italian sausage
- ½ lb. salami
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- ½ cup ready made spicy pizza sauce
- 1 egg, beaten