Holiday Turkey and Cornbread Casserole
WHAT TO DO
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a casserole baking dish; set aside.
2. Heat butter in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic to skillet. Sauté and stir until vegetables have softened and began to brown, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place into a medium bowl. Prepare cornbread according to instructions. When cornbread is done, cut into chucks and place into a bowl.
3. Gently fold in, pecans, sage and turkey meat. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool. Add eggs and chicken stock, mix well until thoroughly combined.
4. Transfer ingredients to a buttered casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for about 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered for about 20-30 minutes or until dressing has set and the top is browned and crisp. Serve with cranberry sauce and turkey gravy. Garnish with sage leaves.
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 1 lrg. yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- ¾ piece green bell pepper
- 2 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
- 1 box Jiffy cornbread mix, prepare according to instructions
- 1 ¼ c. toasted pecans, chopped
- 2 tbls. fresh sage, chopped
- 4 c. pulled ready roasted turkey meat
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 farm fresh eggs, whisked
- 2-3 c. warm low-sodium chicken stock
- ½ c. fresh cranberry sauce
- 2 c. leftover turkey giblet gravy or store bought
- Fresh fried sage leaves for garnish