Faux Fries with "Raspberry Ketchup"
What You Need: Faux Fries
1 loaf of store-bought pound cake
1 fast food cardboard French fry container (ask politely and you shall receive)
What To Do
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Trim the dome off the top of the loaf and a thin layer of crust off all remaining sides of the loaf. Then cut about 2 inches off one end of the loaf so that the remaining block is approximately 4 x 3 x 6-inches. Cut remaining loaf lengthwise into ¼-inch slices. Set slices flat on their side and cut lengthwise again into ¼ inch strips.
- Arrange strips on a cookie sheet and bake for approximately 10 minutes, or until browned on top and bottom. Turn strips one quarter rotation and bake for approximately 4 more minutes, or until remaining two sides are browned. Let cool, then arrange in fries container.
What You Need: Raspberry Ketchup
6 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed, or 1 cup of fresh raspberries
2 tablespoons of confectionery (icing) sugar
1 empty ketchup bottle or plastic squeeze bottle
What To Do
- If you are using frozen berries, drain off excess juice. Puree raspberries in a blender or food processor. Add sugar, one teaspoon at a time, to taste—until tartness is gone.
- Place raspberry puree in a strainer over a bowl. Use a rubber spatula or the back of a spoon to force the puree through the strainer. Discard the seeds and transfer puree to the ketchup bottle. Serve alongside “fries”.
- Serves 4
- 1 loaf of store-bought pound cake
- 1 fast food cardboard French fry container (ask politely and you shall receive)
- 6 ounces frozen raspberries, thawed, or 1 cup of fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons of confectionery (icing) sugar
- 1 empty ketchup bottle or plastic squeeze bottle