What To Do
1. Remove the chicken tender and place the chicken breasts shiny side up. Use a mallet to flatten the breasts and tenders to ¼-inch thickness. Cut the flattened chicken into 1-inch(ish) squares. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Set out 3 medium bowls. Place flour in one, crack the eggs into the second and beat them, and add panko, parmesan, oregano and thyme in the third. Line the three bowls in a row.
3. Toss about a third of the chicken in flour until well covered, then swirl in egg until well soaked, and finally, roll in panko mixture until completely covered. Transfer to a plate and repeat process with remaining chicken.
4. In a frying pan, over medium-high heat, melt butter and add oil. When butter begins to sizzle add chicken. Cook for approximately 3 minutes on the first side, or until bottom is golden brown. Turn once and cook for approximately 2 more minutes, or until the second side is golden brown and the nuggets are cooked throughout. To test for doneness, make a small incision in a sacrificial nugget. If any pink remains, return to heat for another minute or two.
5. Transfer your future pops to a plate. Remove pan from heat and immediately add lemon juice. Stir for ten to fifteen seconds to loosen up brown bits and let the lemon juice reduce by half. Drizzle a few drops over each tender and season with salt. Insert skewer through chicken, then stick skewers in pineapple.
Yield 12 – 16 popsicles
Uncommon goods 6-inch bamboo skewers
Level of difficulty Think Shake 'N Bake.
Active prep 20 minutes
Cooking time 10 minutes
Shortcuts Buy Italian-style bread crumbs that are seasoned with herbs and cheese.
Advance work Chicken can be breaded earlier in the day and refrigerated on a plate.
Multiplicity For each additional batch of popsicles, make an additional half recipe of the bread crumb mixture.
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup panko or coarse bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan (ideally parmigianno reggiano)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 watermelon wedge (for presentation)
- 16 6-inch bamboo skewers