Cajun Chicken Gumbo
1. Add butter to large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage, onions, peppers, and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender about 6-8 minutes.
2. Add garlic and bay leaf to pot and cook until garlic becomes fragrant. Season vegetables with Cajun seasoning. Add tomato paste and mix well. Stir in rue and cook for about 3-5 minutes.
3. Slowly stir in chicken broth and stewed tomatoes. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until mixture thickens, about 12-15 minutes.
4. Add okra and chicken to pot and cook until okra has softened, about 20 minutes. Garnish with green onions. Place rice in a bowl and top with gumbo. Add a dash of hot sauce and
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 lb. spicy chicken sausage
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, roughly chopped
- 2 large celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp. Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 ½ c. ready made medium dark roux
- 6 c. low sodium chicken broth
- 1 small can stewed tomatoes
- 2 c. fresh okra, sliced
- 1 whole cooked rotisserie chicken, skin and meat removed
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 4-6 c. steamed white rice
- 1 dash hot sauce (optional)
- 1 loaf of New Orleans French bread