Buffalo Bolognese with Rigatoni Pasta
1. Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and carrots. Sauté until soft, about 8-10 minutes. Add ground buffalo and sauté until brown and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Add wine and reduce about 1 minute, stir often scraping browned bits.
2. Add 2 ½ cups beef stock and tomato paste; stir to mix. Lower heat to a simmer, and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add cream and mascarpone cheese to sauce. Stir sauce until cream and cheese is incorporated. Add remaining beef stock if needed.
4. Add cooked pasta, tomatoes, Parmesan and toss well. Top with basil and serve immediately.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped, about 1 cup
- 2 carrots, peeled, finely chopped, about 3/4 cup
- 1 lb. ground buffalo
- 2 oz. merlot red wine
- 3 ½ cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons mascarpone cheese
- ¾ lb. rigatoni, cooked
- 8 cherry tomatoes, on the vine
- Finely grated Parmesan
- Fresh basil top (for garnish)