Red Stick Spice owner Anne Milneck Taught 6th grade food and culture for a brief time. When she planned her lesson on quinoa, she expected the middle schoolers to moan in despair. The opposite happened. It was, by far, her most popular lesson. Those middle schoolers are now in high school, and they still stop Anne to tell her how they still enjoy quinoa.
Quinoa is a super tasty grain-like dish that packs lots of nutrition and complete protein into one dish. Quinoa is a meal on its own, but it’s often served as a side dish. This version is especially nice because it can be personalized with other ingredients. Try olives, capers or pimentos. It’s delicious hot or cold – served leftovers the next day as a salad.
Here are the ingredients:
· I Cup Quinoa, rinsed
· 1 Tbl Mediterranean Spice Blend
· 3 Tbl Garlic Olive Oil, separated
· 2 Cups low (or no) sodium chicken or vegtable stock, heated or simmering
· ½ cup finely sliced sun dried tomatoes
· 1 can quartered artichoke hearts, rinsed
· 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed
· ½ cup finely sliced red onion
· Salt and Pepper to taste
· In a pot with a tight-fitting lid, heat 1 Tbl of the Garlic Olive Oil. Add the Mediterranean Blend and sauté to soften the seasonings and release their fragrance
· Add the rinsed Quinoa and combine and head through. Saute the quinoa until you can see that the seasonings are evenly distributed and the oil has coated the grains.
· Add the simmering stock to the pot with the Quinoa. Bring to a full rolling boil. Lower the heat and cover with the lid. Cook for 10 minutes for slightly al dente Quinoa. Increase cooking time to 15 minutes for softer Quinoa. Remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. If any liquid remains, you can continue cooking the Quinoa with the lid off until the liquid is absorbed or strain in a colander.
· In a sauté pan, heat 2 Tbl Garlic Olive Oil. Add the artichoke hearts, garbanzo beans and sun dried tomatoes just to heat through. Add the warm quinoa to the vegetable mixture and gently combine. Taste to adjust with salt and pepper.