Check out these Top 20 Pantry Essentials for any Home Cook!
Feeling inspired about whipping up a home cooked meal? First, know that practice makes perfect so have patience with yourself. Second, cooking at home is so much easier if your kitchen is already equipped with some basic non-perishable items. If the items are already sitting on your pantry shelf, you will be all the more inspired to whip a meal for you and your family when you bring home a lovely cut of meat or in-season produce.
If you are surprised by the suggestion of canned or frozen as part of our list, do not jump to the conclusion your food will have less quality. Frozen seafood and vegetables are usually harvested at their peak, sealing in maximum flavor and nutrition. That’s about as fresh as you can get without growing your own veggies at home or fishing nearby.
Grab the shopping cart and fill up your cupboard. You’ll be ready to cook at a moment’s notice.
1. Canned tomatoes and artichoke hearts
2. Canned tuna and anchovies
3. Jarred pesto, roasted peppers, salsa and capers
4. Broth or stock cubes (chicken, vegetable and beef)
5. Frozen fruits vegetables such as berries, peas, green beans and corn
6. Frozen shrimp, ground beef, chicken and bacon
7. Dried pasta (spaghetti, penne, no-boil Lasagna and couscous)
8. Extra-virgin olive oil
9. Vinegars (white wine, red wine, rice wine and balsamic)
10. Rice (Basmati, brown, wild rice blend and jasmine)
11. Various sauces including Soy Sauce, Worcestershire and Hot sauce (Tabasco, Sriracha… or your favorite)
12. Baking staples including baking soda, baking powder, flour, corn starch, sugar, brown sugar, powder sugar, semi-sweet chocolate chips, nuts/seeds and vanilla extract
13. Sweet toppings including honey, maple syrup and preserves
14. Condiments such as mustard (Dijon, Yellow and whole grain), ketchup and mayonnaise
15. Breads such English muffins and tortillas (easy to freeze)
16. Butters including dairy and nut butters
17. Cheese (cheddar and parmesan)
18. Canned beans (black, pinto, garbanzo, kidney and cannellini)
19. Panko bread crumbs
20. Spices (cinnamon, chili powder, garlic powder, ground ginger, oregano, cumin, curry powder, paprika, red pepper chili flakes, sea salt, kosher salt and black peppercorns)
by Sylvia Avey